Filing a Wage and Hour Claim – Iowa

Does Iowa have state overtime laws that are different from federal law?

Iowa does not have overtime laws that are different from federal overtime law.

Does Iowa have a minimum wage that is different from federal law?

The current minimum wage in Iowa is $7.25, which is the same as the federal minimum wage. Under Iowa law, employers can pay employees a lower training wage for the first 90 days of employment. Additionally, employers can use tips and gratuities to reduce the minimum wage required to $4.35 per hour, which is higher than the federal tipped minimum of $2.13 per hour.

Do any cities or counties in Iowa have a minimum wage that is different from state or federal law?

No. In 2016, Iowa passed a law that stops any cities or counties in the state from passing their own minimum wage laws. This repealed higher minimum wages in several counties across the state. Therefore, the state minimum applies across Iowa.


Does Iowa have meal and rest break requirements, unlike federal law?

Iowa does not have any meal or rest break requirementsfor employees aged 18 or older. Iowa requires that minor employees younger than 15 must be given a 30-minute break if they are employed five or more hours in one day.

How do I file a wage/hour or labor standards claim in Iowa?

You can file this Wage Claim form with the Division of Labor Services. The filing should include as much information and documentation as possible. The Division will not accept claims if the money you are owed is more than $6,500.00. This process can be completed with or without an attorney, and more information can be found here.

What are my time deadlines?

If you have a wage/hour complaint, do not delay in contacting the Division of Labor to file a claim. There are strict time limits in which wage claims must be filed. In order for the agency to act on your behalf, you must file the complaint within one year from the date that the claim arose.

As you might have other legal claims with shorter deadlines, do not wait to file your claim until your time limit is close to expiring. It may be helpful to consult with an attorney prior to filing your claim, but it is not necessary to have an attorney to file your claim.

How can I or my attorney pursue a claim in court in Iowa?

In Iowa, an employee can file a private lawsuit to recover past compensation plus liquidated damages, attorney’s fees and costs.

State Labor Agency

Iowa Division of Labor
Wage Payment and Collection
1000 East Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50319-0209
Phone: (515) 725-5619
Fax: (515) 725-4123