Filing a Wage and Hour Claim – District of Columbia

Does Washington, DC have overtime laws that are different from federal law?

Delaware does not have overtime laws that are different from federal law. Additional information on federal overtime law is available at

Does Washington, DC have a minimum wage that is different from federal law?

The minimum wage in Washington, DC is $10.50 per hour, which is higher than the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour. However, for contracts with the Washington, DC government, the minimum wage is $13.80 per hour. On July 1, 2016, the minimum wage will increase to $11.50 per hour. On June 7, 2016, the city council of Washington, D.C. agreed unanimously to implement a $15.00 minimum wage.  Once ratified, the wage will go into effect gradually reaching $15.00 by 2020.

Generally, employers cannot use other costs of employment to decrease the minimum wage required. Employers, however, can use tips and gratuities to reduce the minimum wage required to $2.77. This will increase to $5.00 in 2020.

Does Washington, DC have meal and rest break requirements, unlike federal law?

Washington, DC does not have any rest break requirements that are different from federal law.

How do I file a wage/hour or labor standards claim in Washington, DC?

You can file a wage claim with the Washington, DC Department of Employment Services. The form can be found here: with more information regarding the process at their website here:

What are my time deadlines?

If you have a wage/hour claim, do not delay in contacting the Department of Employment Services to file a claim. There are strict time limits in which wage claims must be filed. In order for the agency to act on your behalf, you must file with three years from the date that the claim arose.

Do not wait to file your claim until your time limit is close to expiring. You may wish to consult with an attorney prior to filing your claim, if possible. Yet if you are unable to find an attorney who will assist you, it is not necessary to have an attorney to file your claim.

How can I or my attorney pursue a claim in court in Washington DC?

In Washington, DC, a private attorney can file a private lawsuit to recover past compensation plus attorney’s fees and reasonable costs.

State Labor Agency

DC Department of Employment Services
Labor Standards Bureau
Office of Wage-Hour
4058 Minnesota Avenue, NE, Suite 4300
Washington, DC 20019
Phone: (202) 671-1880
Fax: (202) 673-6411